"This is not to say that schools should go Luddite. We should continue to experiment with educational technology, but we should also preserve a crucial place for unwired, unplugged, and unconnected learning. One hour a day of slow reading with print matter, an occasional research assignment completed without Google—any such practices that slow down and intensify the reading of complex texts will help. The more high school teachers place complex texts on the syllabus and concoct slow, deliberate reading exercises for students to complete, the more they will inculcate the habit. The key is to regularize the instruction and make slow reading exercises a standard part of the curriculum. Such practices may do more to boost college readiness than 300 shiny laptops down the hall—and for a fraction of the price."
I think Bauerlein has a point that there needs to be more screen-free reading and regular instruction in how to slow down and read complex texts. However, a great point was brought up in class discussion that has stuck with me - aren't we already doing that? Let me explain.
As an elementary teacher I do use educational technology, but don't rely on it completely. I give students projects that require research in a (gasp) book. I set aside at least 15 minutes a day to read to them and give them at least 15 minutes a day to read to themselves. I have a classroom library that rivals the school's and I promote the value of the printed word. Who doesn't love the smell of books?I give "Book Note" homework four days a week where students must either 1) read a book of their choice for 20 minutes and respond to my question for the day that relates to a topic we did in class or 2) reread the text we have discussed in class and respond to a question of the day. These are not questions to be done quickly (and yes, I do make them redo it if their work is not up to par. A few recesses with Mrs. B usually increases the quality of work). Do all students do their "Book Notes?" No, but I think it is a start.
I think that the new Common Core (or "regularized instruction" Bauerlein seeks) and the push for Critical Thinking skills will be an asset to reading complex texts. Several classmates brought up the fact that their kindergardeners are taught to compare and contrast or first graders learn to infer. I know when they get to me in fourth grade they come in with a certain set of skills that help them analyze complex texts. Bauerlein needs to give the curriculum time to work. His article was published in 2011 and cited data in 2008. The National Reading Panel didn't put out its first Nation's Report Card until about 2000. Now, I know 2008 would cover the students assessed in that report card, but as I stated, curriculum takes time to work and it seems to be constantly changing. I have a feeling that the graduating class of 2020 will paint a different picture around their understanding of complex texts.
I truly hope so, Sonja. I agree that most curriculum in schools today is rigorous and well sequenced. In the end it will depend on what "new" initiative rolls out and if teachers follow through consistently with the curriculum.
ReplyDeleteSonja thank you for pointing out that teachers are actively working to use print in the classroom along with technology. You have made me wonder when we will see the effects of our new curriculum. I agree we need to give the common core and critical thinking skills more time to be implemented. I also can't help but to think back to what Dr. Robinson said during discussion that this isn't new and that students need remediation and have not been "ready" for college or high school. Will we be able to change that with just a curriculum that slows students down?
ReplyDelete